on June 6, with an inguaural broadcast that included speeches from Gaylord, executive vice president/general manager P. It was the first television station to sign on in the state of Oklahoma (KOTV in Tulsa – which had its license approved the same day as the grant of the WKY-TV license to Gaylord – would not debut until October 22), and the 65th to sign on in the United States.
WKY-TV's original studio facilities were based at the Municipal Auditorium (near Colcord Drive and Walker Avenue, 0.5 miles (0.80 km) west of WKY radio's facilities at the Skirvin Tower Hotel on Park and Broadway Avenues), with production facilities in the Freede Little Theatre on the second floor.
On cable and satellite, the station is available on channel 4 on Cox Communications (which also carries its high definition feed on digital channel 704), AT&T U-verse, Direc TV and Dish Network in the Oklahoma City area.
KFOR is also carried via cable throughout much of western and southern Oklahoma, in areas as far away as Guymon (which is in the Oklahoma Panhandle section of the Amarillo market), and Idabel (part of the Shreveport–Texarkana market).
When the FCC granted the license for the proposed television station to Gaylord on June 2, 1948, Gaylord requested to use the WKY call letters assigned to his AM radio station and its sister on 98.9 FM (now defunct, frequency now occupied by KYIS).
The station began test broadcasts, accompanied by music playing over the pattern slide, on April 21, 1949.
Because of the licensing freeze instituted by the FCC in September 1948, WKY-TV was the only television station in the Oklahoma City market until 1953; its initial two UHF-based competitors – KTVQ (channel 25, allocation now occupied by Fox affiliate KOKH-TV) and KLPR-TV (channel 19, allocation now occupied by Cornerstone Television affiliate KUOT-CD) – made their respective debuts on October 28 and November 8 of that year.